International conference of the Collective Security Treaty Organization "On the Role and Nature of Interaction between International and Regional Organizations in the Fight against International Terrorism", Moscow 30 October 2019
Opening Session by INTERPOL Secretary General Jürgen Stock
Remarks: Opening Session
Jurgen Stock INTERPOL Secretary General
International Conference of the COLLECTIVE SECURITY TREATY ORGANISATION "On the Role and Nature of Interaction between International and Regional Organizations in the Fight against International Terrorism"
30 October 2019 Moscow, Russia
Version: Final | 30 October 2019
Excellency, Acting Secretary-General of CSTO;
Distinguished Heads and Representatives of International and Regional Organizations;
Ladies and Gentlemen;
1. In combating international terrorism, police forces across national borders have a highly effective part to play. And linking them around the world for joint efforts is the work of the International Criminal Police Organization – INTERPOL.
2. This is why, it is an honour for INTERPOL to participate at this important forum here today; and I would like to thank the Collective Security Treaty Organization for hosting this very successful event.
3. Over the years, in working closely with law enforcement at the ‘frontlines’, INTERPOL has devised a set of effective ‘mechanisms’, or capabilities.
4. You may have heard of INTERPOL’s databases that hold criminal and terrorist information: checking against this information systematically has often led to the positive identification of suspected individuals as they cross national border points. This also includes a Criminal Analysis File on suspected Terrorists, including Foreign Terrorist Fighters.
5. In fact, our host for this meeting today – the Russian Federation – demonstrates a perfect example of regularly using INTERPOL capabilities. Russia is a highly engaged member country of our organization, and in 2018, it was the highest consulter in the world of one of INTERPOL’s eighteen databases.
6. International efforts must be supplemented by building synergy with regional partners. INTERPOL believes in the high value of coordination between international and regional organizations: which is the theme for the meeting today.
7. This is why it is a pleasure to meet with many of our partners here. The Anti-Terrorism Center of the Commonwealth of Independent States (ATC-CIS) and the Regional Anti Terrorist Structure of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO-RATS) are official observers at INTERPOL; with Memorandums of Understanding signed with both entities in 2008 and 2014 respectively. Based on the agreement with ATC-CIS, it also has access to INTERPOL’s communication network and databases.
8. I had the honour to participate at the Interior Ministers Council of the CIS last year; and look forward to INTERPOL’s participation next year, under Armenia’s presidency of the council.
9. We are also thankful for the participation by SCO-RATS at INTERPOL’s General Assembly in Santiago, Chile two weeks ago; and INTERPOL will participate at SCO-RATS’ 7th International Scientific and Practical Conference next week in Tashkent, Dushanbe.
10. INTERPOL enjoys a long-standing association with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), and we are engaged in multiple joint efforts on an annual basis.
11. Based on deeper understanding of regional issues from both partners and member countries, INTERPOL is better able to design its initiatives for different regions, based on on-ground realities and needs of law enforcement work.
12. Lastly, may I also recognize the support INTERPOL receives from international partners such as the United Nations’ Counter Terrorism Executive Directorate (CTED) and Office on Counter Terrorism (OCT), and the International Organization on Migration (IOM): on matters of mutual interest to serve our common membership.
13. Secretary-General SEMERIKOV, thank you; I believe this interaction will help enable our two organizations of CSTO and INTERPOL further build synergy in combating international terrorism.
14. Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen; it is always a pleasure to be in Moscow – even if the temperature is cold today, I am sure we all find much warmth in Russian hospitality, always!
15. Thank you very much for your attention. Bolshoye Spasibo.